YouTube Spaces are video production facilities located around the world that are available for channel owners to use. There are locations in Los Angeles, London, Tokyo, New York, Såo Paulo, Berlin, Paris, Mumbai, and Toronto. The facilities act as physical locations where content creators can go to learn new video making skills and get advice and guidance with making their videos. The main purpose of the spaces is to foster and teach the three YouTube principles: Learn, share, create.
Services and Programs
All of the Spaces around the world are different and have unique offerings. For example, the New York Space has a nonprofit program designed to promote and encourage nonprofit organizations in the video space. The Los Angeles Space has a unique residency program that gives creators the opportunity to have extensive access to the facilities and equipment to create larger scale projects. All the spaces around the world also frequently offer free classes and workshops to artists and video creators.
There are some requirements for creators wanting to use YouTube spaces, which may vary from city to city. They include:
- Must have a YouTube channel with at least 10,000 subscribers.
- Must have no current copyright or Terms of Service strikes on your qualifying channel(s).
- Must be actively uploading content.
- Must complete an “Unlock the Space” orientation. You can do the NYC orientation here (all online) and the LA orientation here (online + in-person).
- Must be at least 18 years old. If you are under 18, you must attend with a parent or legal guardian.
- The Channel must not be for a Consumer Brand.
For additional resources on YouTube Spaces and production examples of the creators involved, check out the YouTube Space channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/thespace/featured If you’re located near one of the YouTube Spaces, we highly encourage you to check one out in person!