Seems like everyone wants a piece of TikTok’s market share these days, and Instagram is no different. The company recently announced a new short-form (up to 15-second) video format called Instagram Reels that will make it easy for IG users to create and watch short videos, which you can share with followers or anyone on the platform.
Instagram Reels are bite-sized videos that can include audio and different effects. Reels can be posted on your normal Instagram Feed to your followers, and if you have a public account, you can make Reels available to anyone on Instagram through a new space in Explore. We expect this new format to be extremely popular based on TikTok’s recent success, so this is the perfect time to get familiar with how to use them in innovative ways to connect with your audience.
To create a Reel, first select “Reels” at the bottom of the Instagram camera within the mobile app. A variety of editing tools will pop up on the left side of the screen that you can use to create your Reel, and include:
- Audio: Select a song from the Instagram music library or use your own original audio. Similar to TikTok, when you share a Reel with original audio your song will be attributed to you, and if you have a public account people can create Reels with your music by selecting “Use Audio” from your Reel.
- AR Effects: Record multiple clips with different augmented reality effects.
- Timer and Countdown: Set the timer to record any of your clips hands-free. Once you press record, you’ll see a 3-2-1 countdown before recording begins for the amount of time you selected.
- Align: Line up objects from your previous clip before recording your next to help create seamless transitions.
- Speed: Choose to speed up or slow down part of the video or audio you selected.
Reels can be recorded in multiple clips, one single clip, or using video uploads from your phone gallery. Record by pressing and holding the capture button at the bottom of the screen, you’ll see a progress indicator at the top of the screen as you record. Stop recording to end each clip.
Once your Reel is recorded, select the share screen where you can save a draft of your Reel, change the cover image, add a caption, add hashtags, and tag other users.
If you have a public account, you can share your Reel to a new space in Explore, where it can be seen by anyone on Instagram. Reels in the Explore tab will be selected based on a users interests and what else is in their Explore grid. If you have a public or private account, you can share your Reel with your followers on your feed as well as on your Story, with close friends, and via direct messages.
As always, please reach out to us if you have any questions about using Instagram Reels.